4.1 For the purpose of this policy, a ‘forced marriage’ is defined as a marriage that is entered into without the full and free consent of one or both parties, and where violence, threats or any other form of coercion is used to cause a person to enter into the marriage. Forced marriage is classed as a crime in the UK.
4.2 As part of HBV, staff will be alert to the signs of forced marriage, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Becoming anxious, depressed and emotionally withdrawn with low self-esteem
- Showing signs of mental health disorders and behaviours such as self-harm or anorexia
- Displaying a sudden decline in their educational performance, aspirations or motivation
- Regularly being absent from school
- Displaying a decline in punctuality
4.3 If staff members have any concerns regarding a child who may have undergone, is currently undergoing, or is at risk of, forced marriage, they will speak to the DSL and local safeguarding procedures will be followed.